Thursday, August 18, 2011

love, according to a four year old.


When Bart and I visited the states this summer a massive highlight was the time spent in Alabama with my family, and especially my three ridiculous and wonderful nephews (ages 7, 4, and 2) and my gogeous, perfect, brand new niece. All of the kids loved Bart, but almost-five-year-old Hunter took a particular liking to him. In our week together Hunter spent a lot of time with Bart and me (but mostly Bart), during which he asked us (almost daily) questions about our relationship/each other. They went something like this:


One morning with Bart:
Hunter: "Bart, does Sarah like you?"
Bart: "Yes, I think so."
Hunter: "Do you like Sarah?"
Bart: "Yes, very much."
Hunter: "Hmmm. Me too."



That evening Hunter was in Bart's lap after dinner, playing and making faces. Laughing, Hunter grabbed Bart's face and announced "Bart, you're my best friend!" It was the cutest thing I have ever seen. Later in the week they even had their own secret handshake! (I was obviously super jealous.)

The next day, Hunter was sitting next to me.
Hunter: "Sarah, where did you find Bart?"
Sarah: "Umm, well... at my friend's house, in Switzerland."
Hunter: "And you wanted him?"
Sarah: "Well... We liked each other. So we talked a lot and visited each other after that."
Hunter: "And that's why you sit by each other? Because you like each other?"
Sarah: "Yes!"

A day or so after that, Hunter was sitting next to Bart again.
Hunter: "Bart, do you know why I always want to sit by you?"
Bart: "Why?"
Hunter: "Because you're my best friend. And I like you so much.... I just like you so much!"

This is why I love children. Looking back on Hunter's questions about Bart and me liking each other and his own conclusions about Bart being his best friend, I see the (often forgotten) simplicity of love and relationships. We like each other. And that's why we sit by each other.



ps- According to his mom, Hunter now wants to learn Dutch :)

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the secret handshake. How cute! I thought he was so cute trying to figure things out. Love that boy.

    Love you guys!
    And yes, he said he wants to learn Dutch! Actually jay told me they know four languages because they know a little Dutch, a little Spanish, a little French and English. He was very proud of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwww "Sarah, where did you find Bart?" --- that IS the cutest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) hiya, just stumbled in when i was looking for pictures of windmills. became curious - this is the cutest post ever! it reminds me of where inspiration can come from ;)

    ReplyDelete